Where am I now?

Where am I now...

Saturday, April 28, 2012

WSBK trip preparation

T-minus 24 days and preparation is already underway for this year's trip to the races.

This year will be a slightly different adventure since I no longer have my beloved R1200 GS but instead have a brand new shiny BMW K1600 GTL. The GTL is not an off-road machine by any stretch so this trip all be on nice smooth tarmac. What the GTL lacks in off-road capability it makes up for it technology and raw performance. I could easily make it all the way to SLC in two days with no problem if I had a get out of jail free card to hand the cops every time I got pulled over. The full fairing and larger windscreen will also make the trip a lot less work for me so I hope that I'm not as worn out at the end of the day.

The new GTL

I'm still determining the final routing for the trip but the outline is to hit the following places:
  • Angle Fire, NM
  • North rim of the Black Canyon of the Gunnison
  • Moab, UT
  • Salt Lake City
  • Telluride, CO
  • Aspen, CO
  • South Fork, CO
One of the goals is to scout for any potential areas where we can built a vacation home so I'll probably cover fewer miles than normal so I can spend a little more time poking around in a few key areas we are interested in knowing more about. Unfortunately I probably won't hit as many parks either. Of course Colorado is pretty much a giant park anyway so I'm not missing much.

I'm still looking at how to best capture a record of my trip and how to make it easy to follow where I am and what I'm doing. Last year I used a blog like this and it seemed to work so I'm reading about the new options they have for people to follow the blog updates. I may be tweaking the format of things in the next couple of weeks until I figure out how this all works.




No comments:

Post a Comment