Where am I now?

Where am I now...

Sunday, June 3, 2012

Home Sweet Home

A total of 3,362 miles with 56 hours and 11 minutes spent moving on the bike. That's an average speed of 60 mph and according to my GPS my top speed was (ahem) 108 mph - there are some really wide open and smooth roads out there in the Southwest!

I started at an elevation of 886 feet here at home and hit 12,095 feet at the top of Independance Pass. Most of the trip happens on the Colorado Plateau at around 7,000 feet. For a flatlander like me that means a lot of huffing and puffing when walking around. 

The bike purred like a kitten the whole time, even at speeds well over 90 mph, and I feel much more at home on the bike now.

There are so many great roads that I hit on this trip it's hard to remember which ones stand out. For sure Highway 114 in Colorado just south of Gunnison was a high point with so many twists and turns it was almost like being on a rollercoaster.  Hwy 46 in Utah/90 in Colorado was more of a challenge with tight switchbacks and few bumpy areas but a ride everyone should add to their list.

Even Hwy 70 in Utah has some spectacular views...





No comments:

Post a Comment